Skinny Fudge Brownies with Butterscotch Drizzle

Healthy Brownie Recipe

Skinny January is underway here at Back For Seconds. I am posting skinny (yet scrumptious) recipes only, all month long!

Now just because we’re talking healthy doesn’t mean we’re eliminating dessert. Chocolate is at the top of the food pyramid, is it not?? :)

Today I’m sharing my recipe for all you chocolate lovers who also love your skinny jeans. These brownies are rich, dense, fudgy, and intensely chocolatey! They are sure to satisfy those cravings!

The whole pan uses only 1/2 cup of sugar and NO butter or oil!! They get a little help in the sweetness department from a couple packets of zero calorie sweetner and since you are combining it with real sugar you don’t get any funny aftertaste.  The moist, fudge like texture comes from pumkin puree (you could also use greek yougurt), and a little hot water – who knew?

The texture is not exactly the same as a traditional fudge brownie. Honestly it’s more like actual fudge! Very rich and satisfying :)

SKINNY Fudge Brownies with Butterscotch Drizzle @BackForSeconds http://backforsecondsblog.com #skinny #dessert #chocolate #easy #healthy #diet

The butterscotch drizzle in neither necessary nor skinny, but it’s fun and yummy, haha!

My 4 year old daughter actually preferred eating the brownies plain, and she eats sugar like it’s her job, so you know they must be good!

Skinny Fudge Brownies with Butterscotch Drizzle

Serves 16
Cook time 15 minutes
Total time 25 minutes
Meal type Dessert
Rich and fudgy brownies that will knock out your chocolate cravings without ruining your diet!

brownies

• 3/4 cups pumpkin puree
  • 3/4 cups cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 packets splenda (or other zero calorie sweetner)
  • 2/3 cups flour
  • 1 egg
  • 4 tablespoons hot water

topping

• 1/3 cup butterscotch (melted)

Preheat oven to 350
In medium bowl stir together pumpkin and cocoa. Mix in sugars and sweetener until smooth. Add hot water and stir. Mix in the egg then add flour mixing just until combined. Spread into a greased 8x8" pan and bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean or with fudgy crumbs. Do not overcook!
Let brownies cool in the pan. Melt butterscotch chips and pour into a plastic baggie. Snip off the corner and drizzle back and forth over the brownies. Store covered at room temperature.

39 Responses to “Skinny Fudge Brownies with Butterscotch Drizzle”

1. Chrissy says:

These look delicious!! I have a new Pinterest Power party that started today and would love to have you link this and any other project you have up!

Chrissy
    Chrissy recently posted..Pinterest Power Party {#1}My Profile

2. These look delicious!! I am making them tomorrow!

3. Oooo… these look delicious!
    Emily ~So Domesticated~ recently posted..Chocolate Granola Squares…My Profile

4. Rita says:

These look like the perfect “Skinny January” treat! Thanks for sharing.
    Rita recently posted..Thursday’s Thought-Don’t Judge OthersMy Profile

5. Heather says:

Looks amazing! If I had some sweetener I would make them right now, just for myself!

6. I loooove skinny brownies. Butterscotch, YES PLEASE. I need to make skinny everything, lol.
    Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Giveaway: Win a $20 Amazon Gift Card!My Profile

7. Medeja says:

Really great recipe! Brownies look so tempting!

8. skinny brownies have been made about a deozen times in my kitchen the past few months, but never with butterscotch drizzle Stephanie!! Talk about “indulging” but not really. :) I love chocolate & butterscotch together.
    sally @ sallys baking addiction recently posted..salted triple caramel cupcakes.My Profile

9. Terry says:

These look amazing!
    Terry recently posted..Menu Plan 010713My Profile

10. Michelle says:

Stephanie,
    These brownies look delicious! I’ve never used a no calorie sweetener in my baking before. I’m going to have to give that a try. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share next week! Have a wonderful weekend.
    Michelle
    Michelle recently posted..Creative Thursday Link Party No. 40My Profile

11. Oh me, oh my. I’m in the full swing of skinny January because I want to whittle myself into shape for my birthday in two weeks :) giving up on desserts is impossible for me, so these brownies fit the bill just perfectly! And oh my gosh, only a half cup of sugar? And pumpkin? GENIUS!! I bet these are SO decadent and fudgy, Stephanie! And I super heart the butterscotch drizzle.
    Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel recently posted..Cinnamon Roll-Stuffed Blondies [Guest Post]My Profile

12. Yum! Pinning from the pinterest party at online blogcon!
    Laura and Valerie recently posted..Wall Mural- Vinyl United States of AmericaMy Profile

13. Haha…at the top of the pyramid :) Why of course it is! These look fudgy and delicious!!
    Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos recently posted..Seasonal Inspiration: 1-12-13My Profile

14. This looks so good and I can work it into my diet. Thanks so much! Just pinned!
    Vicky @ Mess For Less recently posted..The ABCs of Raising Girls – Day 5 Letters U-ZMy Profile

15. These look and sound amazing! I want to try making them with almond flour for my gluten-free sister. Can’t wait to try it.
    Rachel @ Bakerita recently posted..Carrot Cake with Pecan Cream Cheese FrostingMy Profile

16. As always, these look amazing and are this week’s chocolate feature from this week’s BFF Open House!

17. L.A Kuny says:

These look unreal. Will have to give them a try once I get some pumpkin puree. Thanks for sharing (saw you at Motivate Me Monday on Keeping it Simple)
    L.A Kuny recently posted..Gramma’s Mini AlbumMy Profile

18. donna says:

just curious as to what is the purpose of the splenda?

Hi Donna!
      I use Splenda in this recipe to keep the calories low. There is only 1/2 cup of sugar in the whole batch of brownies and that’s not quite enough sweetness. So, to sweeten the batter without adding any calories it’s nice to use a zero calorie sweetener such as Splenda. Hope that helps! :)

19. Amazing! I’ve never made brownies with pumpkin puree. Can’t wait to try!
    Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box recently posted..Skinny TiramisuMy Profile

20. Michael Ann says:

Oh yum, these don’t look low fat at all :-) Will have to try them!
    Michael Ann recently posted..Granola SconesMy Profile

21. Something that divine looking could not possible be healthy! They look amazing.
    Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen recently posted..Show Me Your Plaid Mondays #6My Profile

22. I would have never thought of pairing butterscotch & chocolate, but they look divine!!
    Diana Rambles recently posted..Bloggers Against CaptchaMy Profile

23. Absolutely, chocolate is at the top of the food pyramid! :-) These brownies look perfect–love the butterscotch drizzle, too.
    Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl recently posted..Easy Lemon ChickenMy Profile

24. Cristina says:

There is no way you’re convincing me that these are skinny brownies. They look absolutely amazing! Thanks so much for linking these up! Definitely added to my “to bake” list =)
    Cristina recently posted..Linkin’ Up Thursdays # 9My Profile

25. Jodie Moss says:

made these today and I have to say OMG these are amazingly good! I subsituted all the sugar for stevia and it worked amazingly.

26. I would’ve never guessed these to be “skinny” they looks so fantastic! Thanks for linking up with us this week!

27. Printabelle says:

Love all the skinny ideas! Yum!
    Printabelle recently posted..Wonderful Wednesday Link Party #37My Profile

28. Ali says:

Thank you so much for linking this recipe up at Recipe Sharing Monday! The new link party is up and I’d love to see you back. Have a great week. :)
    Ali recently posted..Recipe Sharing Monday #38 + Features!My Profile

29. Mommytomy2plus2 says:

Do you use the same amount of greek yogurt as you do the pumpkin? Thanks

1. Skinny Crock Pot Chicken and Veggie Chowder « Back for Seconds