Cheesy Mexican Stuffed Shells

These Cheesy Mexican Stuffed Shells are a winning flavor packed meal. This is comfort food at it’s best!

Mexican Stuffed Shells - Cheesy comfort food at it's best! Makes an excellent FREEZER Meal too!  #mexicanfood #freezermeal #stuffedshells

If you love Mexican food, or any food that has even a little Mexican flair like I do, you are going to love this meal! It makes enough to feed a crowd, so it’s awesome to make when you have friends and family over. But even if you are cooking for just a few people, freeze half of the recipe for another night when you don’t feel like cooking. Meals like these are lifesavers!

Mexican Stuffed Shells - Cheesy comfort food at it's best! Makes an excellent FREEZER Meal!  #mexicanfood #freezermeal #stuffedshells

When I was about 7 or 8 months pregnant I made these Mexican Shells. I filled 2 pans and put one in the oven and one in the freezer so I would have an easy meal once the baby was born. Boy, I wish I did a little more meal prep like that, because it was SO nice knowing I already had a meal ready. All I had to do was turn on the oven, and at the end of a hectic day, we had an awesome meal that everyone loved!

Mexican Stuffed Shells - Cheesy comfort food at it's best! Makes a great FREEZER Meal too!  #mexicanfood #freezermeal #stuffedshells

You can easily control the spice in this dish by using mild or hot salsa. I used mild since my little ones would be eating it too, but if you like a little spice, go for the hot stuff!

This is one of those meals that will become a regular on your dinner menu – it’s so good!

Cheesy Mexican Stuffed Shells

Serves 10-12
Cook time 35 minutes
Total time 1 hour
These Cheesy Mexican Stuffed Shells are a flavor packed meal that will feed a crowd. This is comfort food at it's best! These can easily be made ahead of time and they freeze well too!

• 36 jumbo pasta shells (cooked)

Topping

• 8oz cream cheese (softened)
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 2 cups shredded cheese

Filling

• 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 1 Medium onion (diced and cooked)
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 can corn
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • salt (to taste)

Preheat oven to 350
In a large bowl mix together all of the ingredients for the filling. Carefully stuff each shell and place in a 9x13" baking dish - you may need another dish to fit all of the shells. In a blender, mix the salsa, cream cheese, and chicken stock until creamy. If too thick add extra stock. Pour over shells and top with shredded cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.

More dinner ideas:

Creamy Lime Baked Taquitos

Creamy Lime Baked Taquitos #mexicanfood #taquitos #healthy

30 Minute Mexican Soup

30 Minute Mexican Soup - If you like Mexican food you will LOVE this quick and easy soup! http://backforsecondsblog.com  #recipe #soup #dip #mexicanfood

Easy Chicken Fajita Casserole

Easy Chicken Fajita Casserole - Fast, easy, and super delicious! My family went nuts for this! #casserole #CookinComfort  #shop

28 Responses to “Cheesy Mexican Stuffed Shells”

1. So crazy good Stephanie! I love Mexican food, we all do here, and I can’t wait to try this recipe soon!

2. You can’t go wrong with stuffed shells ; )
    Paula – bell’alimento recently posted..Strozzapreti with Burrata and BroccoliniMy Profile

3. Oh. My. Goodness. I want those right now. I love freezer meals — especially for those hectic days. And I know my kids would totally dig this too.
    Sarah Caron (Sarah’s Cucina Bella) recently posted..Very Veggie TabboulehMy Profile

4. christine says:

I love to play around w/ different fillings for stuffed shells. These look so cheesy delicious!
    christine recently posted..Pineapple Cilantro RiceMy Profile

5. I’ve always been kind of wary about stuffed shells that contain anything but ricotta and marinara. But these look so cheesy and amazing, I absolutely HAVE to try them!
    Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) recently posted..Pretty Pink LemonadeMy Profile

6. Angie says:

I’m hungry for lunch now, this looks amazing!
    Angie recently posted..Coffee Mug Herb Garden Update and GiveawayMy Profile

7. These look delish and I bet they freeze beautiful! I need some!!
    Marjory @ Dinner-Mom recently posted..Vegan Rice Balls with Corn and Cilantro PestoMy Profile

8. Amanda says:

I absolutely love any thing with a mexican flavor or twist. These look delicious!!

9. This makes my tummy growl, YUM

10. What a great mash-up! Wish I was having this for lunch.
    Amy @Very Culinary recently posted..Perfect Pie CrustMy Profile

11. I love stuffed shells but have never thought to use a Mexican flavor before. I love the idea.
    The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time recently posted..Spiced Sliders with Date KetchupMy Profile

12. OK, now I feel like if I don’t get some Mexican food in me stat, I’ll die! Mmmm!
    Colleen (Souffle Bombay) recently posted..Roasted Sweet Potato SaladMy Profile

13. What a great idea for stuffed shells! I love make ahead meals like this!
    Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction recently posted..Loaded Barbecue Chicken NachosMy Profile

14. Oh my gosh all that cheese!!! I would like this in my face immediately.
    Courtney @ Neighborfood recently posted..Margarita Shrimp TostadasMy Profile

15. Looks cheesey and delicious! I need to get into the practice of freezing extra food for a quick and easy meal.
    Laura @ Laura’s Culinary Adventures recently posted..Avocado ToastMy Profile

16. Nutmeg Nanny says:

These shells look great! Love all that Mexican flavor.
    Nutmeg Nanny recently posted..Asian Salad Hummus FlatbreadMy Profile

17. Marly says:

What a great idea. It’s like a Mexican pizza but with pasta. Love it. Now I’m going to have to figure out a way to veganize this for my family. Thanks for the inspiring recipe!
    Marly recently posted..Green Bean Pasta Al FrescoMy Profile

18. Samantha says:

What a great twist on traditional italian stuffed shells. I love this idea!!!!!!!
    Samantha recently posted..Avocado + Hummus Breakfast Bowls for National Hummus DayMy Profile

19. That is cheesy! would be a good potluck meal
    meredith in sock monkey slippers recently posted..Sausage Spinach Tortellini SoupMy Profile

20. These look amazing! What a great recipe! Thank you bunches for linking up and partying with us! Pinning this.

21. Mary says:

What a creative twist on italian stuffed shells. Thanks for sharing.

22. Betty says:

Hi there! I plan on making these tomorrow, but since there are only 3 of us, I will freeze half…do I bake them and then freeze ? Also, do I thaw the frozen ones before reheating? At what temperature and for how long? Thanks! My hubby will love them!

Hi Betty!
      No need to cook them before freezing. When you are ready to eat the frozen ones, just thaw and bake as directed in the recipe. Hope you enjoy!

23. Julia says:

I am drooling! This looks wonderful! Come by and link it up at Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday! We’d love to have you!

Julia @ Mini Van Dreams
    Julia recently posted..Healthy Parmesan Chicken & Tickle My Tastebuds #1My Profile

24. These shells look so yummy! Wow. The cream cheese, corn, cheese..mmmm. found at cast party wed. Have a great week
    Rachel Kathyg @ onlinesisterhood recently posted..Brazilian Chicken Pie (Torta de Frango)My Profile

25. This is such a great idea! I love using the shells as the package for all the Mexican goodness!
    Cathy@Lemon Tree Dwelling recently posted..Greek Picnic SaladMy Profile